Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sisters Need Love Too....

Recently, Essence has a magazine cover with Reggie Bush on it. The issue said "Live Your Fantasy"...10 of the sexiest black men. The guy is an ideal choice: young, rich, well-built,etc. Essence magazine is known for being devoted to BLACK WOMEN. The magazine that most black women read for fashion, gossip, healthy lifestyles, relationships, etc.
Well, this ploy to clearly exploit the man at a good time, Superbowl, totally backfired. I mean a Twitter #fail. here are some responses from women upset with Essence.
This Brotha don’t dig us, so why, pray tell, do we have to see his face staring back at us, on a magazine that celebrates US? This disappoints me. It’s an insult! Later for Reggie Bush and all the other Brothas who turn their back on the black woman once they are successful.
“Why put a man who clearly prefers the bottom of the barrel of white women than a good black woman on your cover? Clearly, he has no love for the sisters. This magazine is supposed to empower black women not remind us of the disadvantages that we face in today’s society. Please don’t insult our intelligence.”

I understand why so many black women are up in arms about it. I will admit there are too many brothers who are leaving black women to venture out to white women. One of my followers of my blog said that, "Essence was irresponsible." I can understand why she is saying this about Essence. Now..here is where I leave my thoughts.....I am not a black woman but I don't really feel that Essence made a huge mistake. He is dating a white woman. When did one white woman become the sign he has no love for the sisters??? When has Reggie said, I will never date a sister?? What if this woman makes him truly happy?? Yes, I know he cheated but it's Reggie. I don't think anyone should be crucified for their preference in a PERSON. Damn race. In the end, it's all about the person. I will openly admit, I believe stick to your own color lines BUT I understand that at essence, it's the person who makes you happy. Also, let's be honest, many women love Reggie Bush and his physique. Let him drop that white girl and we aren't having this conversation. 6 months later they can throw him on the cover and no one will say anything.

She also said something else I found interesting..."what are we teaching are black men?" OK, I feel that we teach PEOPLE, back men included, be with who makes you happy. I think we assume it is implied that they are supposed to be with their own race. As a child, your parents may have made some reference to you about sticking to your own but was it taught?? No. Don't lie. I really don't think that is a conversation parents drive home. There was a time when interracial relationships just didn't happen. This is a new day and age. The whole implication that we are just supposed to be with your race....doesn't apply. If one feels that strongly about it, we need to say something. ....thank you for taking a look into My Thoughts....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that Reggie and Kim seem to have a natural connection to each other. Even though I could not see myself being in a long term relationship with a white male, I couldn't say it's impossible. You never know who your soul mate may be...and if he/she so happens to be white are you going to turn them away??
People spend way too much time being angry over celebrities dating white women...but they forget there are just as many dating black woman. If your preferance is white woman than so be it. The scary part is I actually know people that get enraged over interacial couples...why though? It is none of your business and your ignorant opinion is not going to break them up anytime soon so why even bother? But back to Reggie and Kim: males, let's be honest...if you had a chance to date Kim you would!..and what if after some months dating you fell in love with eachother?? Even better right?..Yeah, so leave them alone.