Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It takes a village to raise a child. Where is the village?

I know we have heard the old saying it takes a village to raise a child. I have to ask the question, where is the village? What happened to those who used to be responsible for raising the children? Are they even fit now to raise the child? This is a true question. Right now I am in between jobs due to my division closing two months ago. So I am out and about more and more. I am paying attention at all fronts to what's going on in the community. I observe interactions between parents and their children. I observe the way the community has such indifference and it alarms me. I went to an Open House at my cousin's school; there were so many parents who were not present!! There were about 75 parents there in a school well over 300. The Open House was announced three weeks in advance and was on a Saturday on top of it, early Saturday. We cry for change. We cry that our kids get a fair shot in life. We cry that politicians and educators do more for the community for these kids. But why should someone else invest more in the kids when we aren't investing at all? I worked in education. I've seen kids in second grade reading worse than a kindergartner. I tend to wonder, who wasn't reading at home with this child. Where were the parents? Where is the support for this child to succeed? Why are you allowing them to be behind before they can compete? Then we expect everyone else to bring our child up to speed. The school is failing them. No, no. You failed them first when you didn't invest in their potential. What happened to the use of the church and friends to help out? In my culture, any adult has the right to let you know when you are at fault. They feel it's their responsibility to you to set you in the right direction. In this culture, you say something to a child, you aren't supposed to. I see why there is indifference. I don't accept it though. I never will. I will be just as hard on any kid because I want to see them be better than I ever will be. There are more resources afforded to this generation than what I had available. The community needs to rally behind each other and push them in the direction of success. If it's affecting our growth, say something!! If it's affecting the advancement of the community, say something!!! Do something!! We protect all the wrong stereotypes, persons, and misguided values. Let's protect what's good in the community. I could go on and on but I'm going to ease back. I just hope the village gets it together...thank you for taking a look into My Thoughts...

No comments: