Monday, June 6, 2011

Dream Killers...Why does It have to be Our own People??

It pains me to say this but it seems like some Black people are turning into good dream killers. We are becoming a cancer to the advancement of our own people. I don't mean all either because there are some of us who do such a tremendous job in uplifting and pushing our own race. But we have a lot who are so indifferent about the value of human life, even their own. They live by words like "only God can judge me" or "I don't give a f*ck." It just seems like they don't acre about others around them too. Their life may not be amounting to what it could so they are content with cutting down the lives of others. Black people kill dreams not just violently but even psychologically. Parents who won't support their kids dreams or are indifferent about their growth. Some people in the neighborhood who tease and harass those who want to advance themselves. People in the neighborhood who tell others that there is no hope despite which way you turn.
Their words and actions psychologically imprison us at times. I look at a killing that happened in Chicago at the lake front. Typically, the lake front is a beautiful place to take your mate, chill out, enjoy the breeze, gaze at the moon on the water, etc. I get weary about ever being at this area ever again. I have been to that part of the lake front so many times. Never had an incident. Never heard of one there. Now I don't want to go go there as much, or at all, because of things like this.
I just wonder when will we as a people will stop impeding our own people from really growing into the potential that we are capable of. we have the potential to be the best in sports. We have the potential to birth more scholars. We have potential to produce more who contribute to the arts. But we are killing ourselves. Sad fact: Black people are 2.5 times more likely to kill another Black than a white person. I don't condone killing but I would think you would kill the one who oppressed you rather than your OWN PEOPLE. I wonder how many dreams have we stopped short and how many more will we show a complete indifference about. More Black people will be killed in some weekends by other blacks than the KKK murder in the last 10 years. I'm done right now...thank you for taking a look into My Thoughts....

No comments: