Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Alton Sterling: What They Destroyed...

I went to bed last night  after seeing the heinous video of Alton Sterling being destroyed by the Baton Rouge police. I was so tired from the night before my emotions and my ability to really take in what I had just seen were impaired. I woke this morning refreshed and renewed. I turn on the news and I see that in a matter of hours, this story has blown up. My emotions and my ability to comprehend and process wheat I had seen the night before are now at full strength. I kept reading post after post about the outrage and the pain people in the Black community were feeling. I get to work and I see the replay of the son and mother's press conference. I see the pain in the eyes of a son who will know the depths of pain that the daughter of Eric Garner felt. I cried. I couldn't hold it in any longer. The pain of seeing another black man destroyed was just too much. But that is not all they destroyed.

First things first, they destroyed another Black body. As I watched the video, I can't help but sympathize with his body and be full of sadness at the way they literally beat and destroyed his Black body. First they shot him with two Tasers. He did not go down. They proceeded to tackle him with a blinding force that I'm sure caught him off guard. His hands are up and one of the officers attempts to tackle him to the ground. Then he is slammed on a car. He is then wrestled on the floor with his limbs being contorted in ways that I'm sure were causing him great pain. He is then pinned to the ground with all freedom being taken from the movement of his body. Then, finally and sadly, they removed the life from his body. I watched that video burning with anger, overwhelmed with sadness, and numb with the fear of not knowing if I will ever be able to trust the police with concern for my Black life.

The next thing police destroyed was another Black family. In this day and age where we are crying for the return of the Black family, we saw another Black family destroyed today. Yes, they will have their mother always but who knows the effect of this crime, because that what it is, and the lasting aftermath this will have on the family. Watching the son cry at the news conference crying, " I want my daddy" says all that needs to be said about how much he meant to their family. What they did was make that family incomplete. They left them vulnerable to be a part of another racist joke. They put that family in a case study of another family that has to grow up without a father and its effect. In some of these studies, we should really talk about how many of these single-parent households have been destroyed by the police.

The last thing, for the sake of the length this post, that was destroyed our Black peace yet again. I could go on and on but I will highlight this by quoting a few friends on FB:

"‪#‎AltonSterling‬ if you need to watch a video of police assassinating someone to sympathize with the ongoing struggles of a people who have suffered most from centuries of genocide, senseless killings and brutalities by excessive force....I question you. This country is not going to be satisfied until black people completely RISE UP. Enough. ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬" - Rashida Olayiwola

"I am sitting here with tears having not only watched that video but the press conference where his son broke down...I got two boys and this is crazy" - Talae Perry

"...this is tiring" - Kevin Davis

"#brianjohnson- Sometimes u gotta look at your name in a hashtag to know you're no different from Alton...it's him today and could be YOU tomorrow" - Brian O'Neal Johnson

"My heart is heavy.. Being Black is exhausting some days. Today is one of those days. I can't watch the video. I refuse. O literally don't have the mental or emotional capacity to process. Me not watching is an act of self-love. Each day I'm going to prioritize self-love, because I live in a world that constantly tells me I'm no worthy. I love myself so that I can love my community. My community is need of all the love, in all its iterations and manifestations. - Precious Alexandra

...thank you for taking a look into My Thoughts...










No comments: